Pretty much the first thing I did today was decide not to shower or get dressed until dinner time. (Thanks fantasy football for making me watch games all day while remaining within arm’s length of the refresh button.) It was great. I thought I would fit blogging in those plans, but it took me until now to get around to it. Check out my previous post (yeah, I just finished that. Double blog post, blowin’ your mind) for some update on the vinyl tote bags and some colorful pics.
Anyway, while procrastinating, I remembered that I love pretty much everything that comes out of Allie over at Hyperbole and a Half. In fact, This Is Why I’ll Never Be An Adult is pretty much the summation of my day.
So this week’s project was a skirt, from scratch, based on a pattern I found at the BurdaStyle website. The Helena Skirt was cute, simple and best of all available for free. It was also made by a Burda user who happened to be from merry old England. I had this great patterned vintage fabric on hand, a gift from friend, fashion designer and all around hot shit, Kari Kramer.
Actually, in the time line of what happened in the skirt production, it’s like this photo is from the future. I had already cut it out and started making the button stand before I realized I should have some sweet photos of the texture and pattern. Let’s go back in time to when I downloaded the pattern, printed it, cut it out and laid the pieces out to be cut.
All was moving pretty smoothly. I cut out my pieces, being very conservative with my fabric. It was just the right size. No room for error. I started putting the thing together, it was looking pretty neat. That is, until I got to the pleats. They just didn’t work the way I thought they would. I’ve done pleats before, but the pattern markings had me really confused. In the photos there were 3 pleats on each of the front panels. Using the instructions, I could only get 2, leaving me about 4 inches too long for the waist band. I read about pleats on the internet, I reread the instructions, I looked at the renderings and photos of the skirt. I couldn’t figure that shit out the right way. So I decided fuck it. I am master of my sew-main. I am going to make this skirt however I feel like it and I feel like not doing pleats and just doing a simple gather the whole way around.
So I did that. Then I attached the waist band.
And then, waistband attached, I tried it on.
The little shit didn’t fit. I made a size 8 (US Size 4), which is usually my size. It was like 1.5 inches too small. I was furious. I had taken one month off of Hot Girl Work Out and hadn’t been riding my bike and I was a whole size larger?! Ridic. I chalk it up to conversion issues. I guess I should know my measurements in inches and centimeters.
It was at this point that I realized I should have one week where my craft is working out and cleaning my house.
Anyway, I solved that problem. I added a small piece to the end of the waistband (remember I had very little left over from my original cuts) and moved on.
Yadda yadda yadda, I did some buttons. They didn’t line up. I redid the buttons. I was ready to wear this thing.
So I put together a little fall outfit: my skirt, a white top with a bow, fun tights and boots. Trent came upstairs and the exchange went something like this:
All things considered, it did look pretty unflattering I guess. Since I wouldn’t take pictures in it, I dressed up Peggy. She has no shame. I still think it’s pretty cute, but I’ll probably take the waist band off and re-do the pleats at some point.
This skirt was a bad blow to my ego. I’ll be getting back to the hot girl work out in the morning.